April showers bring May flowers, which means it is time for “spring cleaning.” Plumbing services in Fort Collins offer these tips to protect your home against plumbing problems.
- Pour a gallon of water into frequently used drains (including floor drains) to fill the trap and prevent odors from entering the house. Slow drains should be snaked to ensure they will quickly carry water away in the event of a flood.
- Check exposed pipes under sinks and in the basement for leaks.
- If your home has a sump pump, make sure it operates properly by pouring a couple gallons of water into the sump pit. The pump should quickly turn on and discharge the water.
- Install a backflow valve in the floor drain if you live in an area that experiences sewer backup.
- Inspect for slow leaks by taking a reading on your water meter before bedtime. The next morning, without using any water take another reading. If the reading has changed you have a leak that needs to be repaired.
- Install flood alarms. Like a smoke alarm, a flood alarm is battery operated device that notifies you in the event of a flood when it comes in contact with water.
- Make sure yard drains, gutters, and downspouts are cleaned out and free of debris.
- Check for bird nests in plumbing vent pipes
- Checks faucets and hoses to make sure water flows freely. If an outdoor faucet drips or if there is leakage inside your home the first time it is turned on you make have had a frozen pipe that has cracked and needs to be replaced.
Enjoy another beautiful Colorado Spring from Ace Hi!