April showers bring May flowers, which means it is time for “spring cleaning.” Plumbing services in Fort Collins offer these tips to protect your home against plumbing problems.
- Check faucets for drips or leaks. Make repairs to save water.
- Ensure that all drains have strainers to prevent hair, soap, and debris from clogging drain lines.
- Check toilets for hidden leaks. Add six drops of food coloring to the toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, the color will appear in the bowl within thirty minutes.
- Inspect tank and bowl for cracks or leaks.
- Turn water supply valves on and off to prevent them from sticking.
- Make sure toilets flush properly. If the handle must be held down for a thorough flush you may need to replace inexpensive worn tank parts.
- Clean mineral deposits from your shower head. Unscrew it and soak it in vinegar overnight and gently scrub it with an old toothbrush.
- Check the temperature setting on your hot water heater. It should be set to no higher than 120 degrees to prevent scalding and reduce energy use.
- Carefully drain several gallons of water out of your hot water heater to flush out corrosion causing sediment which reduces heating efficiency.
- Consider replacing a water heater that is more than fifteen years old.
- Make sure flammables are not stored near the hot water heater or furnace.
- Check dishwasher, washing machine, and automatic ice maker hoses for leaks.
- Clean out washing machine lint trap.
These are just a few things you can do around the house to keep it running smoothly!